This examination is both for certification and selection into Senior High Schools and Technical Institutes in Ghana. The results of the examination is based on the external examination.
Two categories of prospective candidates are permitted to register for the examination.
(1) Re-sitters - This consists of candidates who previously sat for BECE but could not make the required grade(s). The candidate must provide his/her index number for the last sitting and the year of the examination.
(2) First-timers - Candidates must be 16 years and above. The candidate will be required to provide his/her date of birth during the registration.
(3) Date of Examination
The examination is conducted in the Ten Regional capitals of Ghana in February each year.
(4) Entry for the Examination
The entry period is from October to November. Registration is strictly online for private candidates. Candidates can obtain more information on how to register for the examination at www.waecgh.org
The following documents will be available online at the time of registration:
(1) Notes for the Guidance of Candidates
(2) Directions to Candidates
(4) Fee Schedule
(1) Candidates should read the entire Manual for Registration carefully and follow the instructions.
(2) After submission of entries, requests for change of date of birth will not be entertained.
(3) Candidates are advised to make payments directly to participating banks only and not through internet café operators.
(5) Subjects for the Examination
The following are the subjects available to candidates:
(6) Grading of Candidates
Candidates are graded based on their performance in the external examination (objective and written). A nine-point numerical scale is used in grading the candidates with Grade 1 denoting the highest performance and Grade 9 the lowest.
(7) Release of Results
The results of the examination are released in April to enable successful and qualified candidates enter Senior High Schools and Technical Institutes at the beginning of the academic year. The results are hosted on the Council’s website and candidates can check their results online with an access card at www.waecgh.org.
(8) Selection of Candidates to Senior High School
Candidates are selected to Senior High Schools by the Computerized School Selection and Placement System (CSSPS).
(9) Review of Scripts
Scripts are kept for three months after release of results before they are finally destroyed. During this time, review of scripts for a fee is allowed and this is done at the instance of individual candidates since the Basic Education Certificate Examination for Private Candidates is an individual-based examination. The Council by policy does undertake review of scripts at the instance of candidates, parents, guardians, or persons claiming to act “in loco parentis”
Certificates are collected by individual candidates. Certificates are produced once, and so certificates which get lost or damaged after collection are not replaced.
(11) Confirmation of Results
Candidates who lose their certificates may confirm their results to prospective employers and educational institutions
(12) Attestation of Results
Candidates who lose their certificates may also request for attestation of their results.
(13) Further information/Enquires
All enquiries about the Basic Education Certificate Examination may be directed to the Deputy Registrar/ Controller, National Examinations Administration Department on telephone numbers, (+233)302- 208201-9 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
|THE WEST AFRICAN EXAMINATIONS COUNCIL, ACCRA|
|BASIC EDUCATION CERTIFICATE EXAMINATION,
FOR PRIVATE CANDIDATES
|ENTRY FIGURES BY REGION ----2019|
|S/N||REGION||MALE CANDIDATES||FEMALE CANDIDATES||TOTAL CANDIDATES|