ACHIEVEMENTS OF WAEC
(1) Growth in Number of Candidates
Since its establishment over 60 years ago, the Council has examined millions of candidates. Starting with a modest figure of 35,000 candidates throughout West Africa in 1955, the candidature has increased steadily over the years. The number of candidates examined by the Council in 2011 was 3,011,925.
(2) Educational Research
The Council engages in a variety of research activities. These activities constitute a vital part of the Council’s operations, and aim broadly at helping the Council evaluate and improve its operating methods, tests and the services it offers to the educational and vocational world.
(3) Establishment of an Endowment Fund
The Council has established an Endowment Fund to promote educational development and fund annual awards for candidates who excel in the Council’s examinations.
(4) Improvement in the use of I.C.T. to enhance its services
The Council continues to use technology to its advantage. The WAEC Direct Result Hosting and website facility was successfully implemented in 2003 and 2004 in Nigeria and Ghana respectively. This has made it possible for the WASSCE results in the two countries and the BECE in Ghana to be accessed at the following website www.waecdirect.org for Nigeria and ghana.waecdirect.org for Ghana. Other online services available in Ghana are
- Fast registration of candidates by batch registration and on-line systems
- Online verification of candidates' results by universities and Nurses and Teacher Training Colleges
- e-Payment of examiners, Invigilators, and Script checkers through designated banks
- e-Payment of registration fees through designated banks
(5) Internationalization of the Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSSCE)
The international SSSCE is called the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE). The maiden edition was conducted in The Gambia in 1998. The examination was later taken in Nigeria, Sierra Leone and Ghana in 1999, 2000 and 2006 respectively. Candidates in Liberia took the examination for the first time in 2013